The Happy Math Interventionist Facebook TPT Store Freebies Instagram Pinterest About Me Image Map


Sunday, October 11, 2015

Number Words Chart

My students and I are working hard to make gains in the quality of writing in their math journals (or notebooks). I am looking for better/deeper explanation of mathematical thinking as they write about their problem solving strategies. Not just "I found it by adding 3 + 5", but rather, "Because it says she "found more," I know her pile of marbles got bigger so I added. This focus on improved explaining with words, has resulted in some students wanting to write "three plus five" thinking that is better than 3 + 5. Well, at least they are working on changing something! As a result my students ask me how to spell every number word. When I tell them to "sound it out" I find that number words are not the easiest to sound out! Hence I created a Free Number Word Reference Chart to put in my math tubs to give students a tool to spell with, and to free me up for more conferencing on verbalizing their math ideas and then writing them down to explain. I hope you can use it!

No comments:

Post a Comment