The Happy Math Interventionist Facebook TPT Store Freebies Instagram Pinterest About Me Image Map


Tuesday, January 12, 2016

The Enrichment Project Continues

I started off my year with a goal. It was to spend 5 minutes a day with a student needing enrichment. I wasn't sure what I was going to do or who with so I created a short geometry challenge, copied off 10 copies, and went around the building giving out just a few in each hall. Then I waited.

Before the day's end, three were returned to me with big eyes and lots of questions. "What's this for? Did everyone get one? Why did you give me this?" I let the students know I thought they might find it fun and left it at that.


The three that came back received a new page stapled to it and I was very excited to see when the rest would be returned...But then the excitement kind of fizzled out.

I had to rethink my goal. Had I spent 5 minutes a day with a high kid or had I simply handed out work? Certainly it took me 5 minutes to create the challenge page and  pass them out, but was that my goal? I decided that didn't count toward the 5 minutes and I tried again.


This time I spent 5 minutes talking to one third grade girl who was very excited about being challenged in math. And I spent 5 more minutes with two kids from a third grade classroom in a group of two. This felt wonderful. The kids were smiling the whole time. Yes. This was my goal.

As I continue this project, I will be giving some deep thought as to what enrichment benefits them the most. Right now my focus is vocabulary. It never hurts to have great vocabulary. I like it.
I'll check back in again with more on the Enrichment Project.                          

No comments:

Post a Comment