The Happy Math Interventionist Facebook TPT Store Freebies Instagram Pinterest About Me Image Map


Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Breakfast over Billy

Ahhhhh, summertime- when you can push the snooze three times just for fun. You are probably wondering why a teacher would even set an alarm in the summer, but I would literally sleep the morning away if I didn't.
Stumbling through my empty nest, careful not to trip over old Louie (15 in August!) who is comatose smack in the middle of the foyer, I pour my morning coffee and dislodge a small rock stuck to the bottom of my foot. Private Selection moca blend is my personal heaven. After shutting up my fat cat with a slice of turkey, and letting out my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, I head to my recliner and wrap in a fuzzy blanket. I adore Michigan summer mornings when it is actually cold. 
Welcome to my book study series: Helping Billy.
Read on for my notes about chapters 1 and 2.

Chapter one gives results of a survey done with struggling students asking them what they think they need at school to make learning better. The kids asked for more help, less kids in the class, smaller groups, and more breaks. Many responses were geared toward nicer teachers and less yelling (break my heart!). When asked what would make them look forward to going to school each day, the kids asked for help with bullying and for friends. Yes, this is a catch 22 as these kids tend to have challenging social skills, yet still another heart breaker.

Chapter two describes the "good" and "bad" students we all have in our classrooms and states that their behaviors and profiles are not a matter of choice but rather an imprint from their past histories.
My personal thought about this chapter is, though I know struggling kids often come from rough homes, it is quite difficult to fathom that a baby's needs are not met. With my strong motherly instincts, to put myself in a neglected baby's shoes (booties?)...How the brain, personality and perception of the world is shaped when that baby is not soothed, fed, and cared for...this is a downright unimaginable scenario. Surely neglect begins after a baby grows up, not when a baby is an infant. We are talking about a baby!
I am absolutely looking forward to the heart of this book and strategies and solutions to help these children. 
Well, that's it for today. Enjoy your day, teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment